Author Topic: Steel Core  (Read 1147 times)

TraumaSlave

• SKS Gunsmith
Steel Core
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:44:26 AM »
I just picked up a case of the Adcom and it says that it's "steel core". Does that mean that it is AP?????  :? I have only shot 20 rounds to check function. Works great but I don't want to waste something that is "special" just on plinking.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__223.html

moulton

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • I see hidden people
Steel Core
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
almost any rifle caleber is armor piercing
my polish 7.62x54r is steal core and there is alot of it :D

CL

• SKS Newbie
Steel Core
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »
You can't buy new AP anymore. AP and steel core aren't the same thing.
Steel core might penetrate soft targets a little more than lead core bit it won't go through light armor.

Cpl Punishment

• SKS Marksman
Steel Core
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
The steel core ammo uses a mild, not hardened steel core.  Yes, it's consideered "armor piercing" although it probably won't go through the side of a Bradley or anything like that.

IIRC, it's only handgun ammo that is restricted as far as AP ammo goes (it's really a restriction on what percentage of the core can be of which materials.  Some rifle cartridges (like .308) are also restricted, because they can be fired from handguns such as the T/C Encore, and the ATF considers them handgun rounds. . .go figure.

If you're talking 7.62x54R, it's no problem, there's a lot of steel core ammo out there (it's cheaper to produce than lead-core), mostly shoots well.  The only downside is that some ranges won't let you fire it there.